While we are all aware of the fact that writing blogs can benefit writers to showcase their work. However, even if you are not a…
10 Reasons Why Happy Habits Work Better than New Year ResolutionsCareer Development Personal Branding December 30, 2015
“Old habits die hard,” and this adage is absolutely true when it comes to nurturing happy habits in life. They offer compelling reasons to easily stride through life’s complexities and find new ways, without feeling the need to traditionally comply with the New Year resolution norm.
“Happy Habits are a real breakthrough because 92% of us have failed to make New Year’s Resolutions work, according to Forbes,” said Vicki Morris, founder of InspiredWork.com and author of Happy Habits, Energize Your Career and Life in 4 Minutes a Day.
Here are 10 compelling reasons why happy habits prove to be much effective and easy to follow over New Year resolutions:
1) The best way to improve a person’s life is to change things one does every day. With the Happy Habits formula, people will be picking three things they do daily that they want to change.
2) 40% of everyone’s day is run by habits – activities done on autopilot, according to research conducted by Charles Duhigg in his book The Power of Habit. So, changing daily habits is the place where people can have the most impact and make the most meaningful changes. For example, if someone learned a bad or unhealthy habit, then they can learn a happy or healthy habit instead. With Happy Habits, the focus is on creating positive habits, which is more effective than trying to eliminate bad habits.
3) To change a habit permanently, it takes 40-66 days according to the latest research by James Clear and others not just 21 days. So, people need a plan or New Year’s resolution that is at least 8 weeks long to ensure their success.
4) Since it takes at least 8 weeks to form new habits, most people need a strong reason why they want to make a change.
5) Many people fail with New Year’s Resolutions because they try to take on too much. Happy Habits works because adopters only have to do 4 minutes a day. The shorter daily commitment enables them to stick with their resolutions. Once they have established permanent happy habits, they can always extend the time and build on their success.
6) People are more likely to succeed if they have shared accountability for their New Year’s Resolution.
7) It is helpful to focus a New Year’s Resolution on who each individual wants to BE versus what he or she wants to HAVE. For example, it is more effective to set an intention to be happier and feel more energized this year than to set a goal to lose 30 pounds. By focusing on the reason someone wants to lose weight – wanting to feel more energized in this example, the person can be motivated to make better daily decisions (and create happier and healthier habits) around his or her mindset/emotional well-being, nutrition and exercise thereby increasing the likelihood of success.
8) Any plan including a New Year’s Resolution works best if it is personalized. Using relevant triggers helps people remember to complete their daily mini-energizers and turn them into permanent habits. This best practice is based on Stanford University’s BJ Fogg’s methodology for creating habits successfully.
9) Many people take on new things at New Year’s because they want to be happier. If they focused on being happy first in the present moment and inside themselves, then they would have a better chance of being happier versus pursuing something outside of themselves in the future.
10) New Year Resolution plans don’t work for most because they imply a strict regime and disciplined approach, adhering to schedules with not much room for flexibility. This doesn’t allow many to follow New Year resolutions seriously. With happy habits, you just make happiness a form of living and you are no longer working on anything, since small changes in life soon form habits and these are positive healthy ones for a bright future.
Image credit: positivepsychlopedia.com
You might also like
With entrepreneurship currently taking the world by storm, here are some insider secrets for achieving business success in 2016 and beyond. An increasing percentage of…